15 August, 2011

What climate-based spirit am I

I wonder.

Someone told me that they were a desert spirit, that they loved being in the desert and hated the snow from up north.  So if I had any type of weather-based spirit, what would I be?

I got tired of the elongated cold months from Spokane myself. I got mad when it didn't start getting hot towards the END OF JUNE a couple of years ago. And snow and hills definitely made life difficult for drivers and those using public transportation to work. Snowboarding was alright, but otherwise, longer cold months than hot months? I'm not feeling it. Not a winter spirit.

Down in the desert in Phoenix, the heat was in-your-face and extreme. I got myself to acclimate, but sometimes feeling my skin burning while riding bike or walking to the bus was a bit unsettling. My lips even burned a little. Had to use protection this year.  That and the ability to grow vegetables and things is more difficult (to a first-timer). I wouldn't be prepared to really survive in the desert unless I really got used to gardening and growing things down here. And didn't mind feeling like my brain was cooking every now and then. I don't think I'm a desert spirit either.

So I like warm weather for most of the year, enjoy the presence of tropical birds that aren't caged, love tamarindo, and love the idea of gardening and yielding a variety of fruits and vegetables. Like avocados, cherries, tamarind, zucchini, and maybe some (collard) greens. Am I a tropical spirit? I haven't tested my mettle in humid settings. But I'd like to see. I felt drawn to stories such as that of Cubans building thriving gardens and even garden forests when the chips were down. Rain is fine, so long as it's fairly warm.

I dunno. Maybe I am a tropical spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment