04 August, 2011

DJ-ing, the memories

I've been DJing on and off for a few years...the number of times actually wouldn't add up to a year's worth. I do it so..sporadically. Here's the deal. I know I'm not nearly as good at beat matching, mixing and scratching as other DJs who have been well-trained in the vinyl trade.  So, I don't have a mix-tape, and I don't really DJ unless I'm asked to (a rare but huge honor).

I bought my first record in 2002 (still have the receipt). Turntables and mixer came after. No (non-homey) sound system. I'm car-less and too poor to purchase the type of equipment that gets people out to dance.  Regardless, I've been blessed enough to only need to bring my vinyl when co-DJing with people I respect and place in high regard.

I can safely say I've only did a solo DJing gig hmmm...three times. Five if you count DJing at a public radio station. Loved the radio station vibes, also loved the down-tempo vibes found at coffee shops, lounge-type establishments, and house gatherings.

My favorite thing to do when I was 'getting my feet wet' was be in line to DJ at 'Whammy-Wednesdays' the main open-turntable night that happened at various homes in Spokane. The atmosphere was so chill and relaxed (even if I was naive as to why). The people that came through were so supportive.  No drunks ever accidentally bumped the tables.

Same goes with other non-bar/club settings. It wasn't people hooking up so much as getting together, rapping, and enjoying eachothers company (or doing some sort of work, but still).

DJing at bars is nice, but my least favorite environment, based on the unpredictability alone. That and chances of heckling and making requests goes up ten-fold. There's a good chance I don't have what you're asking for. Although someone did ask about Earth Wind and Fire's "September." I have that.

Speaking of which. Time to close with a story. The person who made the EWF request at the end of the night did so over a year ago, when I was asked to DJ at this ex-biker bar on Sunset Boulevard (no, not in CA). The bar was not abuzz, and that was okay by me. However, there was a drunk guy that constantly wanted to get on the mike, and try and heckle me into playing something with higher bpms (beats per minute). He eventually went away...and started talking with some woman he found attractive...who so happened to be with someone. Long story shortened, a fight broke out over their increasingly heated exchange, drunk dude gets kicked out of the bar.

At the end of the night, come to find out that most of the cars in the parking lot had all their tires slashed...except mine. Good old 89 Mazda 323! Figures that the beater gets spared. Everyone else was pissed though and had to call for rides, get cars towed and so on. So my wheels of steel came in handy in dropping a few people off. I was so grateful, it was the least I could do.

When I was going away to Arizona a year ago (one day over a year ago), I got featured on The Som Show. Consider this close-out the only plug I have to work with to describe myself. Peace

4 comments:

  1. Wow that was a great Interview!2 thumbs up!I feel the same way about music and DJing.I wish you success!
    Peace love and Music!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! Kudos to you and your craft. May your dreams come to fruition....
    Be well,
    Aloe-Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello DJ Deseurable,

    I realize this was from back in 2011, but I wanted to comment real quick. I found out about you from another blog called God Made Me Funky that Darrell D does and he had interviewed you for.

    I also spin 60's and 70's Funk and Soul. I contribute to a friend of mine's blog called, Soul of the 60's and 70's: Sounds Of The Soul at http://raggedy-quitefrankly.blogspot.com/. You can do a search under my name Soultaker and you can check out my various sets or you can check out my mixcloud page at https://www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/. It's cool that you are also into comics as well.

    Anyway, I hope you are still spinning and doing your thing.

    Be Safe,

    Soultaker73

    ReplyDelete