26 July, 2011

Disrespect intended: turning the derogatory into an empowerment.

I'm tardy in doing a follow-up to my last installment of 'Disrespect Intended.' But I'll be brief with this one. This is a follow-up on non-heterosexual men dissing on heterosexual women.  I won't re-hash that so much, except to say I seem to be noticing this behavior more and more and it's depressing. As depressing as colonized oppressed peoples oppressing other oppressed persons through language and action. 

But anyway, I decided to look up what a 'fag-hag' was on...what else but Wikipedia (I should donate some funds to whomever devotes their time and energy towards keeping that site running). Based on my readings, I have the following thoughts: 
  • I still find it offensive, if only because it has a combination of derogatory words, and the history behind them.
  • Transformation of phrases that go from derogatory to empowering has no positive effect on me. I still am aware of the history and oppression behind various 'formerly derogatory' phrases spouted on the regular (well, at least where I go).  I still think they're offensive and are better off not said. 
  • The male version of this phrase seems to not be so derogatory at all! They seem more catchy and inclusive hetero-males...in a nice way!
  • Queer or no, men dissin' on females seems to always be in style. Hegemony be damned!
  • As a person who considers herself an ally, I refuse to be called this by the way. 
    • I also refuse to be called other derogatory/empowerment names like bitch, cunt, nigger, and other names I have yet to come across. 
And that's the end of my faulty thought-process.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment