18 July, 2011

Disrespect intended: an observation

Disclaimer: This was something that has eventually gotten on my nerves, so I decided to write on it. It is not academically thorough nor is it politically correct in terms of what actually goes on in LGBTQ communities. It is not meant to be a generalization, though the string of memories would have me surmise otherwise (I remain optimistic, however). Open, thought-provoking discussion is encouraged.

This observation-turned-thought has to do with disrespect. Humans disrespecting humans, and in this load, men disrespecting women.

Specifically, men who identify as homosexuals disrespecting women who are seen as heterosexuals.

These strings of observations bleed together in memory as having themes of bashing women based on their body image. And women who are considered allies and friends of LGBTQ people being labeled as "fag-hags."

Really? Yeah, one man dissed on a news-anchor because of her weight, and seemed pretty unrelenting about it, which seemed to encourage other people regardless of sexual orientation to jump right in.
"Well, if he said it, it must be okay!"

Apparently, acceptance and struggles for equality seem to call for condoning this type of behavior. I will say I don't like it one bit, just like I don't like women being bashed by other women, let alone throwing race and class into the mix.

It just seems like patriarchy and the misogyny that seems to accompany it persists in places where it shouldn't be, not if the whole idea of liberation and freedom is to be a believable reality when it comes to human relations.  But liberation and freedom are also not mentioned, just equality. Equal right to do things like devalue and disrespect people.  It really must be that pervasive as to sneak its way into these liberation or equality movements

I don't know if that's what the LGBTQ community is aiming for in their struggle, but I feel uncomfortable when stuff similar to the 'news-anchor' episode is casually gossiped upon and discussed.  If this is what the 'culture' is supposed to be like, I want no part in it. No thanks to being called a 'bitch,' 'slut,' 'fag-hag' or anything else offensive.

I'll go over internet-based understandings of a 'fag-hag' and bring up thoughts of my own regarding this label on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment