14 August, 2011

Future Plans

The following is a collection of thoughts about this coming school year and future goals in/out-of academia.

  • I would like to teach, or gain experience teaching. And community colleges claim that you need a minimum of a masters degree in order to teach at their level. So, if I'm able to, maybe I'll apply to one of these colleges and see if my interdisciplinary degree will be useful in this capacity. Although I did talk to my department director, who was very pessimistic of my chances, as I have had no (formal) teaching experience. 
  • In continuing my education (and attempting to get residency in Arizona),  I was thinking of doing not one, but two certificate programs. One in Socio-economic justice, and the other in Grant-writing, if they're still available. Otherwise, I wonder if it would be a good (read: more practical) idea to get an MSW, as I hope to do more work with community-based non-profit organizations. 
  • I feel I still owe my allegiance to sociology in that I would get a PhD in Sociology for teaching purposes. However, doing Public Sociology seems to gel better with me, as I want to do social research, but not the type of research that is so steeped in academese that I detach myself (semi-permenantly) from the communities in which such writing and research papers are intended to serve. So far, the only program I came across was a masters program at American University.
  • Which leads me to wonder, how many masters degrees is too much en route to getting a PhD, more debt notwithstanding?
  • And speaking of debt, I wonder if taking a break to go after non-academic endeavors is worth anything? Another avenue to go down is taking a break to teach or work at a non-profit (while whittling away on my student loan debt), while pursuing other endeavors. Like learning to 
    • garden in various environments
    • survive in an urban environment
    • become an effective foster parent
    • use updated video editing equipment, become a video editor
    • create comic books and/or zines with a comic-book format
    • be a better DJ
    • love in every sense of the word (the most important for my personal self growth)
  • If I were to continue my education elsewhere, I would like to accomplish the following goals while indebting myself further:
    • be a proficient Spanish speaker (another colonizer's language, I know).
    • being well versed in post-colonial or de-colonized and womanist rhetoric enough to know what 'smashing the white supremacist, racist, homophobic, patriarchal paradigm' means.
    • confidence in explaining intersectionality and my idea of oppositional love and social in/justice.
    • confidence in doing non-oppressive action-based social research and doing it well.
    • Doing an alternative dissertation that involves either film, comics or some sort of art-form as opposed to a ridiculously long paper. 
So, if anyone has any resources with regards to programs that may help set my (academic) mind at ease, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment