14 July, 2011

Stories III

"I'll show him..."
I drew characters, but I wrote about them even more. Complex story-lines. Stories about being in high school and escaping genetically created monsters. Or stories about turf-battles between rival groups. Or even stories involving genetically altered beings on the run who ultimately form an underground resistance created to destroy the corporations that created them (after someone gets killed of course). I had it all in my head, and it spilled onto paper.

The first story I called "DreamChasers," written from my freshman to my sophomore years in (two different) high school(s). The action seemed fast paced. My friends and I almost died, but we survived, in part because of each other, or some head-honcho who was in charge of us. One of my friends survived because the monster's blood affected him, causing regeneration of one of his missing limbs. In retrospect, the title made no sense, but had to do with dreams. Dreams ending, dreams beginning. Dreams impossible and scary that needed to be chased down and either addressed or destroyed. No one dreamed in the story, but the action and plot sequences were written as if it could only happen in a dream.  And I wrote them so fast and so small. I tried to type them out. One page = three-five pages single-spaced.

I eventually got to page 63 before I realized this was going nowhere. The story had no end, just more plots. More twists and turns. Not what I felt I wanted to work towards.  So I scrapped it. But not before one of my teachers made copies of the first few pages. I think I still have them somewhere. I don't believe my dad ever caught me writing or drawing this, as I did most of the writing and drawing at the high school, and to much fan fare (well, the fan fare of my small circle of friends who had to be included in the story; I was only too happy to comply).

"Lunartics" was a little harder to conceive, but it had one premise: me running away/disappearing from home into a strange universe/land. Not even my siblings were written in. I was so wrapped up in the anger, hatred and eventual self-loathing that I felt I could only be of use in this world I created. And I did. About two rival groups: one who got their powers from the sun, and the other who got their powers from the moon. I was eventually discovered to be a part of the moon faction the Lunartics, who were up against the Zematics (don't ask). Of course upon discovering that there were powers had in this new world, in the dredges of the abandoned ghettoes of all places, there were other beings with planetary strengths less common on earth, like Jupiter and Saturn. The storyline had to do with getting along with people within the Lunartics (unlikely allies who were foes in the 'real world') or else their faction being in crucial jeopardy against the more powerful and ruthless (yet human) Zematics. Love triangles and hiding around notwithstanding, this was also short-lived.

One more story

No comments:

Post a Comment