30 July, 2011

Drinkin' [Water]

These next three posts are about drinking. I'll break this down into three parts: drinking water, drinking sugary stuff, and drinking alcohol.

This is more of a thought and reflection I have on drinking water.  Ever since I was a pre-teen, adults have noticed I tend to drink a lot of water. I don't know why. I've been nick-named a 'water buffalo' by one teacher.  My water drinking annoys the mess out of coffee shops that I visit, and restaurants I eat at.  In my youth, I drank so much water, I had a swollen gut. Still do, to a certain extent, and it has served me well, but shrank due to the heat index in Phoenix.

Ever since I've come to Arizona, I've been purchasing my water because my love for water clashed with the disgusting taste of it down here. Man have I taken Washington State water forgranted. My family always laughs at how I keep commenting on how delicious the water is when I come to visit. But when I run out of my reverse-osmosis water, I panic, I relent on drinking at the fountains and faucets only to be reminded of my disgust for this water. I heard it was dangerous to drink. That it could give you kidney stones and all that other mineral-based scariness.

But most importantly, because I've had to purchase my water. I've been drinking less of it. I don't know if that's a good thing in this heat. But I've been going off 20 ounces (591.5 milliliters) for every bike-ride/trip I make on foot. And I haven't dehydrated.  In fact, I've been sweating ten-fold since I've acclimated to the heat. And I've been peeing less. Is that healthy? Some sources say it isn't, and yet, my body hasn't told me I'm in any danger yet.  Hmm.

As much as I like water, I do get tired of it every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment